How To Write A History Essay: From Definition To Understanding
History can be defined as records of events, which happened in the past in various places. So, history essays are composed on the basis of facts and historians’ opinions or theories about a specific historical period. Thus, if you are about to work on your historical essay content, make sure you have exhaustive information about the period you need to describe.
To write on history topics, you have to conduct even more detailed research than for other fields of study and screen out the information you encounter. This is because you can’t check the past events on your own and must rely on the ready data, which someone has already discovered and left records.
Besides this, writing a history paper requires a good understanding of writing techniques and a proper language, which will be appealing to your audience. Knowing that History is about narration, you’ll need to elaborate your descriptions to make your readers satisfied.
Initial Tips on How to Write a History Essay
Before starting a history paper, you must be aware of its key principles:
- Understanding the readers – if you are cognizant of the audience, which is going to examine your paper, you can be sure of what tone of writing is most suitable for it. Various types of readers will react differently to your work, as they have their own expectations about it. However, the 2 main types of audiences are official platforms & non-official platforms. So, the first thing to do if you need to write a historical paper, define which type your audience refers to.
- Opting for simple English – make sure you can select clear and simple language when writing your narrative. It should be readable and comprehensive. Try to do without an excessive number of ink-horn terms or vocabulary in your work, as it makes you sound boring.
- Aiming to sound convincing – if you can persuade your audience with the information described in your essay, consider you already keep them on the hook. At the same time, if readers lose trust in your writing, the essay will fail automatically. Below, we provide various techniques that help to convince your readers of the paper:
- Using senses – the moment you use senses in the essay, your readers get totally involved in your writing.
- Using ethics – if ethics supports your arguments, your readers are easily persuaded by your points in the essay. Considering that ethics is indisputable, it’s a set of norms introduced by the society, and your readers will have no other way than to agree with your points, as they are members of that society.
- Using logical thinking – when you logically state your arguments, your readers’ questions will be automatically eliminated, So, be certain that the points you introduce are clear and will not lead to a misunderstanding.
- Prove your statements to the full – your task is to provide proper examples and relevant illustrations for your points. Such evidence is crucial, as it supports your arguments and proves that the described events really took place.
- Use trusted sources as a reference – nowadays, there is very much historical literature and information sources in libraries, but it is recommended to check the scholarly sources, including facts. Selecting a proper resource for your historical essay will contribute to the credibility of the data presented in your work.
Working on History Essay Format
Before you embark on writing your historical essay, it is useful to create an overview of your future work, helping you see the desired result. An essential part of a successful essay is its format, as it will define in what direction to move with your writing. Below we’ve prepared some hints on how to write a history essay of good quality:
- Choose a good topic – no wonder that your choice of topic may determine how successful your essay will be: a good topic will let you express yourself and persuade your audience with the arguments. At the same time, a weak or too narrow topic may not allow you to introduce many arguments and reach out to your readers. Sometimes you can be asked by your mentor to select a topic from a prepared list and write an essay. In this case, aim for the topic, which you can skillfully cover.
- Make your objective more specific – taking into account that history is quite a wide area; an academic paper can’t cover all the aspects of the topic. So, just before you start the essay, go over your mentor’s instructions, and define the key requirement for your work. Once you are sure what should be conveyed to your audience, you can proceed and expand on this area. Try to write without many generalizations, as your paper’s goal might be misplaced with other details that surround your topic.
- Conducting proper research is an integral part of work on a historical essay, as historical data is stored in numerous sources. So, your task is to study them and retrieve only the most relevant information for your topic. If you use many resources for your research, you can compare the data you find and choose the most suitable for your essay. During the research, it’s better to rely on primary sources, which contain original information, and secondary sources can be used to complete the primary ones.
- Create a draft for your points – make notes and draft out the information before you proceed with the actual writing. It will help you to organize your thoughts into clear points and create a logical plan for the essay. A well-organized paper facilitates the process of reading and perceiving information for your readers. Thus, your work is more likely to be understood and highly evaluated.
Basic History Essay Outline
In the same way, as other academic papers, a history essay consists of three main parts: introduction, main body, and conclusion.
An introduction is the first part of your writing, where you provide short background information concerning your topic to inform the audience what they are about to read. The purpose of the introduction is to intrigue your readers and provoke their interest from the very beginning. That’s why it should be short but well-defined. Straight after the introduction, a thesis statement should follow. It is a brief statement or a sentence that explains what will be covered in your essay.
The main body is basically the main part of your essay, as there you will cover all your points. Each paragraph of the body must start with a topic sentence, which conveys the paragraph’s idea to the reader. All arguments of the main body must be supported by evidence. Organize the points in a gradual mode, from strongest to those, which come from secondary sources. It will help to create a well-structured text and make a good impression on your readers.
The conclusion is the final part of your history essay, or any essay indeed. And this part must be treated seriously if you want to receive a good grade for your paper. The conclusion must summarize all the important points of the body part. For that, rephrase the thesis, which you’ve introduced in the introduction, and accompany it with a brief summary of the body paragraphs’ main points. By doing so, you will persuade the audience that the essay goal is reached. Also, don’t forget to choose proper transition words, which will signal to the readers that you are about to finish your writing journey.
Creating an outline for a history essay is often a time-consuming process. To cope with this task, follow our guidelines and recommendations, or request assistance from our professional writing team.
Importance of Examples for History Essay
You may be given an assignment to write a history essay on various topics. That’s why the more examples you go through, the better prepared you become. Numerous history essay samples serve you as a background for writing your particular work, as you acquire knowledge about different past events and can analyze them. It is always true about history that it can’t be changed, as past events already happened at some point. Thus, reading different history sample essays will contribute to your future assignments, as you will definitely come across some of the events described in your upcoming academic writing. Among the popular history essay topics for your assignment may be the following:
- Civil War;
- Women liberation;
- Acquisition of independence;
- Abolition of slavery;
- Evolution stages.
Helpful information: If you are looking for someone qualified, who can write the essay for you, – here we are! Contact our professional writing service to get assistance.
For composing historical essays, it’s advised to be well aware of the topics above. You can access those samples by examining books and articles, journals and magazines, or reports. The work on examples allows you to obtain various skills and understanding of writing a history essay. In the same way, you can polish your writing, as examining other writers’ works helps to understand the required format and prevents you from making numerous errors in writing.